The Golden Gate Bridge celebrates its 75th anniversary with The Golden Gate Festival on May 27, 2012. The celebration is free. To enjoy the fireworks show in style, you can also book a 50% off deal on a Red & White Fleet cruise. (Details below.)
With the theme of Bridging Us All, the festival presents performances and exhibits highlighting the history of the landmark bridge. Festival activities include music and dance stages, an historic watercraft parade, a display of cars from 1937 to the present, art installations, films, and information booths. The celebration will conclude with a spectacular 75th anniversary fireworks display and grand finale.
“While the Bridge will be open to auto traffic only and there will be no Bridge walk, there will be numerous vantage points and ways for the public to share in the Festival experience.”
WHAT: The 75th Anniversary Golden Gate Festival has free admission. See the list of top things to do at the bottom of this page.
DEAL: Fireworks Cruise — Enjoy the KaBoom Fireworks Show from a Red & White Fleet cruise ship for 50% Off after sign in — $33 (reg. $66) plus fees (May 27, starting at 7:30). Here’s what you get …
“The cruise will sail from Pier 43½ at Fisherman’s Wharf as passengers enjoy feel-good music from the ’70s to today, a hearty appetizer buffet and one complimentary beverage (beer, wine or soda) on this fun evening cruise for all ages. For the grand finale, the cruise will get into position near the Golden Gate Bridge for spectacular views of the fireworks that will be launched above the bridge. A full cash bar will be available on board.”
WHEN: May 27, 2012. Event schedule and times. Fireworks at 9:30pm.
WHERE: Spanning the San Francisco waterfront from Fort Point to Pier 39, including Crissy Field and the Marina Green.
75th Anniversary Golden Gate Festival Top To Do’s
- Fireworks: 9:30–9:50 pm. Spectacular grand finale showcasing the Bridge, Bay and surrounding national parklands. Optimum visibility along the waterfront from Fort Point to east Marina Green. The hills above Marina/Cow Hollow also provide stunning views. Soundtrack aired live on KFOG 104.5/97.7FM. (Note: Fireworks will not be televised and will not be visible from Fisherman’s Wharf/south down the Embarcadero. Weather permitting, fireworks will be visible from PIER 39.)
- International Orange Artists’ Exhibition at Fort Point: 10 am–7 pm.
- Crissy Field Stage: Dance, music and local bands, 11 am–11 pm.
- Road Trip through History: Vintage cars and motorcycles from 1937 to the present. East Crissy Field, 11 am–5 pm.
- Crissy Field Center Future Fair: Activities and demonstrations showcasing sustainability technologies and innovations in the pioneering spirit of the Bridge. East Beach, 11 am–7 pm.
- Vintage Maritime Display and Historic Watercraft Parade: Classic boats spanning 75 years. St. Francis Yacht Club, 11 am–3 pm.
- Marina Green Stage: Dance and music organizations and local bands. West Marina Green, 11 am–10 pm.
- Marina Green, Crissy Field and Golden Gate Bridge Plaza: Retail outlets offering Official 75th Anniversary merchandise. Various waterfront locations, 10 am-8 pm.