The American Automobile Association (AAA) runs their holiday Free Tipsy Tow Home service on most holidays and big events — including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, Super Bowl Sunday, St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, Independence Day, Halloween — for anyone in Northern California, Nevada, and Utah.
Also, AAA Texas sponsors a the free Tipsy Tow on New Year’s Eve and the Fourth of July. And AAAs in Arizona, Florida and Georgia sponsor free tows on certain holidays as well, including SuperBowl Sunday. Check the AAA website for your area for specific details (links below).
AAA Tipsy Tow service, and other Sober Ride services are usually available for the following holidays, depending on the city and subject to change. Check this link for more info on which dates are covered for different cities. Check with your local AAA for the most current offer.
You don’t have to be a AAA member to call (and neither does your tipsy friend), because the Tipsy Tow program is open to everyone. They offer a free five-mile tow home for drinking drivers and their vehicles, including potential passengers, party hosts, bartenders, and restaurant managers.
AAA TIPSY TOW: CALIFORNIA, NEVADA, UTAH
WHAT: AAA Tipsy Tow Program in N. California, Nevada and Utah. AAA offers free tows home (and rides for you, member or not) on holidays, up to five-miles. Follow the link and put in your zip code for more info on the Tipsy Tow service by AAA. 1-800-AAA-HELP (222-4357).
WHERE: Northern California (including the San Francisco Bay Area), Nevada, and Utah.
WHEN: The following schedule …
- New Year’s Eve: 6pm December 31 – 6am January 1
- Super Bowl: 6pm Sunday– 6am Monday
- St. Patrick’s Day: 6pm March 17 – 6am March 18
- Cinco de Mayo: 6pm May 5 – 6am May 6
- Independence Day: 6pm. July 4 – 6am July 5
- Halloween: 6pm October 31 – 6am November 1
SAVVY TIP: In SF, also see Safe & Sober Free Cab Rides Home, and note that MUNI offers free rides from 5pm on NYE until 5am New Year’s Day (including cable cars).
AAA TIPSY TOW: TEXAS
WHAT: AAA Tipsy Tow Program in Texas. According to the Texas Tipsy Tow web page, they will provide, “a complimentary ride and vehicle tow up to ten miles from the point of pickup to drivers who have consumed alcohol on New Year’s Eve and the Fourth of July.” Now times are specified. Tipsy Tow service is available to members and non-members of AAA. Ask for a Tipsy Tow in Texas by calling: 1-800-AAA-HELP (222-4357).
WHEN: New Year’s Eve and the Fourth of July.
WHERE: All Texas cities including Dallas and Houston.
AAA TIPSY TOW: ARIZONA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA
WHAT: AAA Tipsy Tow Program in Arizona. AAA offers free tows home (and rides for you, member or not) on holidays. Possible mileage restrictions.
WHEN: Follow the link for the current schedule.
WHERE: All Arizona, Florida and Georgia cities Statewide.
SAVVY TIP: You may also want to check out the comprehensive round-up of safe and sober ride resources around the U.S., created by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Some offer free ride services, some require a flat fees or have restrictions, and many are available on any day, not just holidays. The list is worth a look before you need it.
AAA SAFE RIDE PROGRAMS
AAA Clubs across the USA offer Safe Ride Programs of various kinds. Here are some that make the list, but check with your local AAA office for current details. You don’t need to be a member to qualify for a safe ride.
- The Auto Club Group (Statewide in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. Program is called “Tow-to-Go”)
- AAA Arizona (statewide)
- AAA South Dakota (Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Mitchell and Yankton
- AAA Oklahoma (Metro Tulsa, Metro Oklahoma City, Shawnee, Bartlesville, Enid, Muskogee, Tahlequah, Ardmore and Lawton)
- AAA Northern California (in all club territories)
- AAA Nevada ( Statewide)
- AAA Utah (Statewide)
- AAA Tidewater (Greater Hampton Roads area : Cities of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, Yorktown and Williamsburg, VA) – program runs through January 1
- AAA Northwest Ohio ( available in Lucas, Fulton, Wood, Henry, Williams, Defiance, Paulding and Ottawa counties)
- AAA MountainWest (Helena, East Helena, Montana City, Belgrade, Bozeman, Billings and Missoula and Anchorage, Alaska)
- Automobile Club of Southern California (in all club territories)
- AAA Texas (statewide)
- AAA New Mexico (statewide)
- AAA Hawaii
- AAA Alabama – (Program is called Tow-For-Life)
- Ohio (Cincinnati only) Program is called Care Cab 381-FREE (3733) (AAA has no call center involvement)
- AAA Allied Group in Ohio has a program called “ArriveSafe”. It provides cab rides for Montgomery County residents only. AAA has no call center involvement- local motorists must dial 937-449-9999. ( Program runs Dec. 31 at 6 p.m. through 6 a.m. January 2)
- Kansas (Topeka area only) Care Cab 785-357-4444 (AAA has no call center involvement)
- Kansas (Wichita only) Care Cab requests accepted through AAA call center will provide call rides home within city limits of Wichita, KS.
- Kansas (Lawrence) program called Tipsy Taxi 785-842-TAXI (8294) (AAA has no call center involvement). It provides cab rides in Douglas County only.