The American Automobile Association (AAA) runs their holiday Free Tipsy Tow Home service on most holidays and big events (including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, Independence Day, Halloween) for anyone in Northern California, Nevada, and Utah. Also, AAA Texas sponsors a the free Tipsy Tow on New Year’s Eve and the Fourth of July.
Check the AA website for your area for specific details (links below). If you think you’ve overindulged in holiday cheer and are in one of these locations, give AAA a call at 1-800-AAA-HELP (222-4357). Write the number down and keep it in your wallet or your car’s glove box. Just tell the AAA operator, “I need a Tipsy Tow,” and a truck will be on its way.
You don’t have to be a AAA member to call (and neither does your tipsy friend), because the Tipsy Tow program is open to everyone. They offer a free five-mile tow home for drinking drivers and their vehicles, including potential passengers, party hosts, bartenders, and restaurant managers.
WHAT: AAA provides its Tipsy Tow service for the following holidays:
- New Year’s Eve: 6pm December 31 – 6am January 1
- Super Bowl: 6pm Sunday– 6am Monday
- St. Patrick’s Day: 6pm March 17 – 6am March 18
- Cinco de Mayo: 6pm May 5 – 6am May 6
- Independence Day: 6pm. July 4 – 6am. July 5
- Halloween: 6pm. October 31 – 6am November 1
AAA TIPSY TOW: CALIFORNIA, NEVADA, UTAH
WHAT: AAA Tipsy Tow Program in N. California, Nevada and Utah. AAA offers free tows home (and rides for you, member or not) on holidays, up to five-miles. Follow the link and put in your zip code for more info on the Tipsy Tow service by AAA. 1-800-AAA-HELP (222-4357).
WHERE: Northern California (including the San Francisco Bay Area), Nevada, and Utah.
WHEN: New Year’s Eve: 6pm December 31, 2013 – 6am January 1, 2014 (and most other holidays).
SAVVY TIP: In SF, also see Safe & Sober Free Cab Rides Home, and note that MUNI offers free rides from 5pm on NYE until 5am New Year’s Day (including cable cars).
AAA TIPSY TOW: TEXAS
WHAT: AAA Tipsy Tow Program in Texas. According to the Texas Tipsy Tow web page, they will provide, “a complimentary ride and vehicle tow up to ten miles from the point of pickup to drivers who have consumed alcohol on New Year’s Eve and the Fourth of July.” Now times are specified. Tipsy Tow service is available to members and non-members of AAA. Ask for a Tipsy Tow in Texas by calling: 1-800-AAA-HELP (222-4357).
WHERE: All Texas cities.
WHEN: New Year’s Eve 2013 (early New Year’s Morning 2014); and Fourth of July 2014.
AAA NYE SAFE RIDE PROGRAMS: OTHER STATES
- The Auto Club Group (Statewide in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. Program is called “Tow-to-Go”)
- AAA Arizona (statewide)
- AAA South Dakota (Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Mitchell and Yankton
- AAA Oklahoma (Metro Tulsa, Metro Oklahoma City, Shawnee, Bartlesville, Enid, Muskogee, Tahlequah, Ardmore and Lawton)
- AAA Northern California (in all club territories)
- AAA Nevada ( Statewide)
- AAA Utah (Statewide)
- AAA Tidewater (Greater Hampton Roads area : Cities of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, Yorktown and Williamsburg, VA) – program runs through January 1
- AAA Northwest Ohio ( available in Lucas, Fulton, Wood, Henry, Williams, Defiance, Paulding and Ottawa counties)
- AAA MountainWest (Helena, East Helena, Montana City, Belgrade, Bozeman, Billings and Missoula and Anchorage, Alaska)
- Automobile Club of Southern California (in all club territories)
- AAA Texas (statewide)
- AAA New Mexico (statewide)
- AAA Hawaii
- AAA Alabama – (Program is called Tow-For-Life)
- Ohio (Cincinnati only) Program is called Care Cab 381-FREE (3733) (AAA has no call center involvement)
- AAA Allied Group in Ohio has a program called “ArriveSafe”. It provides cab rides for Montgomery County residents only. AAA has no call center involvement- local motorists must dial 937-449-9999. ( Program runs Dec. 31 at 6 p.m. through 6 a.m. January 2)
- Kansas (Topeka area only) Care Cab 785-357-4444 (AAA has no call center involvement)
- Kansas (Wichita only) Care Cab requests accepted through AAA call center will provide call rides home within city limits of Wichita, KS.
- Kansas (Lawrence) program called Tipsy Taxi 785-842-TAXI (8294) (AAA has no call center involvement). It provides cab rides in Douglas County only.
SAVVY TIP: You may also want to check out the comprehensive round-up of safe and sober ride resources around the U.S., created by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Some offer free ride services, some require a flat fees or have restrictions, and many are available on any day, not just holidays. The list is worth a look before you need it.