Savvy Cities provides tips and reviews on hand-picked things to do in 20 U.S. cities based on the best ticket deals, special offers, promos, discounts, and comps from trusted sources. Free events, free admission days at popular museums and attractions, kids free opportunities, senior discounts, and other specials also find a place in these pages.
But SavvyCities is more about smart than cheap. We’re always on the lookout for savvy ways to get out of the house and have more fun.
Every page contains hand-picked and vetted information, ideas, and offers. You’ll also find savvy tips for getting the most out of every experience, like taking advantage of upgraded and premium seats, locating the best viewing spots, or finding the easiest places to park.
What you won’t see? Offers and events that don’t deliver on the promise, ticket sources with bad reps and a record of poor customer service, things we wouldn’t bother to recommend to our friends.
Take a look around and you’ll see only those things you’d consider doing, or can imagine your friends or family doing just for fun. At the very least, you can enjoy a good armchair experience just by browsing a city’s current reviews of fun things to do. But why stop there when you know you’re itching to go out on the town?
Savvy FAQs …
What’s this site all about? SavvyCities.com is about getting out more and having fun in the city. I give you the cheat sheets, or the CliffsNotes style version of how to enjoy local events with less effort, whether it’s a promo code for sports tickets, a heads up about free events or free museum days, ski lift ticket discounts, easy weekend getaways for less, great deals on Broadway show tickets, or coupons for family theme parks. I give you several choices of deal sources whenever possible, and send you to various savvy sources for more information to help you plan your activities.
Does Savvy Cities sell tickets like a broker? No, as the publisher of Savvy Cities, I only tell you where to find the best ticket offers, I’m not a ticket broker. I don’t accept money, process payments, or sell anything. I simply scope out the best offers I can find and link to them, whether the offer is a special deal for Savvy Cities readers, or a ticket deal offered by another ticket seller, deal source, merchant, or competitor. Some pages are co-branded with partner sites, but all ticket transactions take place somewhere else, from companies I trust and buy from personally.
What if I have a problem with my tickets? The best thing to do is contact the ticket seller directly. You’ll find that info on your voucher or tickets. Since I don’t actually sell anything here, I can’t fix the problem, but I’m happy to help answer questions or forward your request to someone at the the primary ticket source for help.
I followed your link to a deal and it wasn’t listed. Are you trying to trick people? Please don’t shoot the messenger. Since I am not the ticket seller or event organizer, I have no way of knowing the exact moment a merchant sells out of tickets (and they don’t bother to tell me since I don’t work for them). I check as often as possible and try to update readers as soon as I know. Also, sometimes these merchants add more tickets soon after the first batch of ticket deals sells out, so you might want to check back later.
Who publishes this website? My name is Kathy Summers, and I have been a full-time writer for national and international magazines for 20 years. I started publishing Savvy Cities in my spare time in 2009 when I moved to the San Francisco area (my flagship city) and was looking for fun things to do on a budget. The site’s popularity really took off. As my favorite top touring events moved around the country (with the same terrific ticket deals), I followed them from city to city, adding some of those cities into the mix.
Why am I not getting your email updates? If you signed up for Savvy e-news, make sure our email address is white-listed in your address book so it won’t end up in you filter (and please rescue any that end up there). Also, we don’t flood you with daily emails. We only send updates about once a week or so for new and updated activities and special ticket giveaways. You’re probably already getting flooded with daily emails from “deal” sites. We’re not them.
About The Business:
How do you get paid for what you do? Although I started this site as a labor of love, I now earn enough from ad placement and affiliate partnerships to cover my time and expenses, which helps to keep the site going and growing.
Are your pages for sale? Absolutely not. There is no “pay for play” as they say. I don’t post events or offers unless I believe they are a good fit for the site. Savvy readers come first. In fact, I turn down more offers every day than I accept for inclusion on Savvy Cities.
How do we list our event on Savvy Cities? Sorry, you don’t. I review and decide what gets posted on this site, and I write every word myself. Yes, I could really use a day off, but I digress.
Do you charge to list free events? No charge, since I only post the events I think my readers will like. For example, three free events that tickle my fancy — the Lighted Tractor Parade in Calistoga (near San Francisco), the Dragon Boat Festival in Washington DC, and the Pumpkin Launch at Discovery Science Center in SoCal. Even readers who don’t go to these events have fun reading about them and watching the videos. So if you know of one like this, send it our way.
Will you list our ticketed event? Maybe, if I think it’s something I, or my savvy readers, want to read about. Is your event really fun, and is there a special offer or savvy way to better enjoy the experience? Then please send your event details via the SavvyCities contact page and I’ll take a look. The best way to get coverage is to sponsor a giveaway, buy a banner ad, offer an exclusive savvy coupon or promo code, or set up an affiliate arrangement.
How do I find out more? You can contact me, Kathy Summers, with your questions or requests on the Contact Savvy Cities page. I would love to hear from you. You can also find me (occasionally) on Google+, Twitter, Facebook. Kathy Summers, P.O. Box 1803, El Granada, California 94018 United States.
Local Love for SavvyCities.com:
- While looking for things to do in San Francisco, I happened across SavvyCities …. and now I’m completely addicted. I can’t tell you how much fun I’ve had this summer going to all of the suggested festivals and museums on your site. Yes, there are other sites on the internet that offer “great things to do,” but they don’t even compare to yours. It’s user friendly to the max and I’m just so impressed (and grateful!) It has gotten me out of the house and into the fun of the city. You and your site are fantastic, so thank you. ~Renée K
- I came upon your site fairly recently and it’s been wonderful getting updates regularly. It’s so much fun digging through each section and just browsing around to see all of the possibilities out there in New York City. Not only do you offer deals and offers to such a wide variety of things to do and see and shop….but I hear about things I would have never known about and for that I THANK YOU. ~Michelle
- You guys are amazing, always find something fun to do with help from the web site. Thanks for helping us get to know the city. ~Sarah
- Wow I really don’t know what I would do without you! You have definitely made my last year a he’ll of a lot more fun for me and my girl. Thank you!!! ~Graham
- Awesome website you guys got there because in this tough economy any help around town for things to do is great. Thanks. ~Michele J
- Hello & congratulations on your successful blog. I’m very grateful for all the info of local happenings on the cheap during these hard economic times. ~S. Andregg
- Thanks so much for giving us some fun things to do without breaking my bank account! My friend told me about your website yesterday after me and 7 others went to the DeYoung Museum yesterday! Yeah cheap fun outings! ~Jacquie L
- Thanks for keeping my girlfriend and I involved with events in the area. They’ve been fun and the last couple of months have saved me more than ever. Still need to watch Wicked though, but nevertheless, Happy anniversary! ~Samuel L
- I found SavvyCities when looking for cheap tickets to see Cirque du Soleil OVO. This site is great, listing all the options to save money. My husband and I are going to see OVO at half price in March! Thank you, Savvy Cities! Thank you. ~Heidi
- I found your site a while ago and was really excited about all the possibilities of exploring new things in the area and look forward to years and years of many more treasures found there! Thank you! ~Varaxy Y
- Love your webpage. Great job of pulling the information from so many different sources! ~Sheila
- LOVE the website. With three kids, we need to do stuff on the cheap! ~Alyssa P.
- I just love giveaways and your website! As a frugal person new to the area, I’ve found so many amazing deals on here. I visit your site weekly to find even more great deals. ~Huong N
- I love this site. I just moved here and have been using it every day practically. Thank you! ~Lana N
- Thanks for all the great, cheap inside scoops around the city! ~Hannah
- I love the blog! Please keep it up for years to come! ~Erin
- I Love SavvyCities. Great Idea. ~Linh TN
- Your website has given me great ideas for my frugal bf. ~Deanna L
- I love your website and have told all my friends about it too. Thanks! ~Anna L
- Thanks so much for your website, it’s so helpful for a student on a budget!! ~ Yvonne Chou
- I’ve only been using your website for a short time but i’ve gotten so many ideas from it. Thanks! ~Winnie
- You guys are great!! Thank you!! Keep up the good work! ~Natalia H
- Congratulations on a successful year of stellar bloggingness. Cheers to greater triumphs and further growth. ~Shannon
- U’r doing a wonderful job out there.u r helping so many people plan their weekends, family fun, can’t thank u enough. ~Sangeeta
- Thank you so much for sending us great emails about fun things to do for not a lot of money in the city. ~Amy
- I love this website! Thanks for creating it! ~Ben N
- Thank you so much for sending us such great information about things in my favorite cities! ~Anne C
- SavvyCities is the best! Keep up the good work. ~Sam T
- I also wanted to Thank You(!) for such a great service, its a wonderful help in these tough times. ~AJ
- Thanks for the great tips on discounts in the city! Love it! Happy 1st Anniversary, and keep doing what you do! ~Regina F
- Congratulations on your 1st Anniversary of SavvyCities! You have created a very useful website! ~Doreen
- Happy Anniversary! I love your site, and visit it everyday! Thanks! ~Jennifer
- Love your website! It’s saved me lots of money Thank you!! ~Adrianne G
- you rock! and thanks. soooo many great things to do. so little time…. ~dave g
- I love seeing your email in my inbox. I wish you many many more. ~Melissa Vega
- Congrats on helping make the awesomeness that is the Bay area easier for us all to digest. ~GP
- I think your email alerts and web site are great. Hope you celebrate many more anniversaries. ~Chris C
- I’m so glad I found your website. This is such a great resource for families around the metro area! Thanks! ~Siubhan
- I recently discovered your site while browsing for deals and bargains on the internet. I love what you’re doing! Thank you. ~Lisa W
- Your site is awesome! I check it frequently to see how I can enjoy the Boston area on a tight budget. Keep it up! ~Patrick
- Thanks for the great site. ~Ed
- Thank you for all the great information on things to do in the Chicago, cheaply. ~Michael
- Love your twitter feed, I always look forward to doing new things in Los Angeles. If they are fun and cheap it’s all the better! Thanks, ~Mary
- I have been enjoying your website for about six month now and I look forward to many more great deals. Keep up the great work/ Thanks. ~Thayton
- Thank you so much for helping me save money on my San Diego activities! As a college student, it’s hard to go out with $0 in your wallet. ~Todd LG (Stanford Class of 2010)
- My boyfriend and I moved to San Francisco last January and have used your email updates as a way to get to know the Atlanta area and entertain ourselves on the cheap. Thanks and Happy Anniversary! ~Kathy D
- I’m a big fan of your website. Not only is it a mainstay in my daily RSS readings, but over the last year it has truly shaped how I spend my time off, especially on weekends. Thanks for everything you do! ~Samik B
- Thank you so much for the GO passes I won a while back. My husband and I took turns taking our son into the City for adventures the last three days of spring break and had such a blast! AT&T Park, MOMA, Zeum, Exploratorium, aquarium, bay cruise and on and on… even the wax museum was a hoot! Thx for the oppt’y to win the passes and your awesome web site! ~Lara Starr, producer of Consumer Talk with Michael Finney on KGO Newstalk 810