I’m Kathy Summers, an award-winnng writer with credits in international magazines and books. I’m glad you’re here because it means you’re about to go out and do something fun in the city.
An L.A. Times editor once called SavvyCities, “a bonbon of a blog.” Not sure what that means exactly, but go ahead and take a bite.
My greedy passion is to find the real stuff in life right outside our doors — to chat up experts, sleuth out deals, and share tips with other Savvy Citizens. Savvy Citizens love to explore, wander, ponder, eat out, walk it off, relax, relate — and write home about it. Sometimes we’re just looking for our zen place in the middle of it all. Along the way we try to stay healthy and strong, cherish family and friends, find room to maneuver and grow, live well on less, splurge when we can. And when we can’t, we enjoy a good read, if only for the armchair adventure, whether we venture out or not.
ABOUT KATHY SUMMERS: I’m an award-winning writer based in Half Moon Bay, California, just down the coast from San Francisco. My articles have appeared in American Profile, American Legion, Outside, Travel + Leisure, Hemispheres, Consumer’s Digest, Health, Natural Health, Fit Pregnancy, Prevention, and others. My book credits include HarperCollins, Rodale Books, Mobil Travel Guide, Forbes Travel Guide and more.
I love the freelancing life — it provides freedom and funds for freewheeling around with my airline pilot husband Troy. I’m actually an airline brat from way back (daughter of an airline exec). That gives me an easy excuse to travel often (free pass and all). La di da. Lucky me! But seriously, it’s not as great as it sounds these days because: Airlines. I’ve learned some savvy tips on that, too, but more about that later.
Finding the savvier way to go is what this website is about, so I invite you to subscribe, lead or follow, and come along for the ride. Share your own tips with other Savvy Citizens. I’d love to hear from you.
What are your favorite places to go in your favorite cities?
What They Say About SavvyCities
Both business partners and savvy readers share the love. Thanks a million for the kind words!
- Thank you so much for the GO passes I won a while back. My husband and I took turns taking our son into the City for adventures the last three days of spring break and had such a blast! AT&T Park, MOMA, Zeum, Exploratorium, aquarium, bay cruise and on and on… even the wax museum was a hoot! Thx for the opportunity to win the passes and your awesome web site! ~Lara Starr, producer of Consumer Talk with Michael Finney on KGO Newstalk 810
- While looking for things to do in San Francisco, I happened across SavvyCities …. and now I’m completely addicted. I can’t tell you how much fun I’ve had this summer going to all of the suggested festivals and museums on your site. Yes, there are other sites on the internet that offer “great things to do,” but they don’t even compare to yours. It’s user friendly to the max and I’m just so impressed (and grateful!) It has gotten me out of the house and into the fun of the city. You and your site are fantastic, so thank you. ~Renée K
- I came upon your site fairly recently and it’s been wonderful getting updates regularly. It’s so much fun digging through each section and just browsing around to see all of the possibilities out there in New York City. Not only do you offer deals and offers to such a wide variety of things to do and see and shop….but I hear about things I would have never known about and for that I THANK YOU. ~Michelle
- I’m a big fan of your website. Not only is it a mainstay in my daily readings, but over the last year it has truly shaped how I spend my time off, especially on weekends. Thanks for everything you do! ~Samik B
- You guys are amazing, always find something fun to do with help from the web site. Thanks for helping us get to know the city. ~Sarah
- Wow I really don’t know what I would do without you! You have definitely made my last year a he’ll of a lot more fun for me and my girl. Thank you!!! ~Graham
- Awesome website you guys got there because in this tough economy any help around town for things to do is great. Thanks. ~Michele J
- Hello & congratulations on your successful blog. I’m very grateful for all the info of local happenings on the cheap during these hard economic times. ~S. Andregg
- Thanks so much for giving us some fun things to do without breaking my bank account! My friend told me about your website yesterday after me and 7 others went to the DeYoung Museum yesterday! Yeah cheap fun outings! ~Jacquie L
- Thanks for keeping my girlfriend and I involved with events in the area. They’ve been fun and the last couple of months have saved me more than ever. Still need to watch Wicked though, but nevertheless, Happy anniversary! ~Samuel L
- I found SavvyCities when looking for cheap tickets to see Cirque du Soleil OVO. This site is great, listing all the options to save money. My husband and I are going to see OVO at half price in March! Thank you, Savvy Cities! Thank you. ~Heidi
- I found your site a while ago and was really excited about all the possibilities of exploring new things in the area and look forward to years and years of many more treasures found there! Thank you! ~Varaxy Y
- Love your webpage. Great job of pulling the information from so many different sources! ~Sheila
- LOVE the website. With three kids, we need to do stuff on the cheap! ~Alyssa P.
- I just love giveaways and your website! As a frugal person new to the area, I’ve found so many amazing deals on here. I visit your site weekly to find even more great deals. ~Huong N
- I love this site. I just moved here and have been using it every day practically. Thank you! ~Lana N
- Thanks for all the great, cheap inside scoops around the city! ~Hannah
- I love the blog! Please keep it up for years to come! ~Erin
- I Love SavvyCities. Great Idea. ~Linh TN
- Your website has given me great ideas for my frugal bf. ~Deanna L
- I love your website and have told all my friends about it too. Thanks! ~Anna L
- Thanks so much for your website, it’s so helpful for a student on a budget!! ~ Yvonne Chou
- I’ve only been using your website for a short time but i’ve gotten so many ideas from it. Thanks! ~Winnie
- You guys are great!! Thank you!! Keep up the good work! ~Natalia H
- Congratulations on a successful year of stellar bloggingness. Cheers to greater triumphs and further growth. ~Shannon
- You’re doing a wonderful job out there. You are helping so many people plan their weekends, family fun, can’t thank u enough. ~Sangeeta
- Thank you so much for sending us great emails about fun things to do for not a lot of money in the city. ~Amy
- I love this website! Thanks for creating it! ~Ben N
- Thank you so much for sending us such great information about things in my favorite cities! ~Anne C
- SavvyCities is the best! Keep up the good work. ~Sam T
- I also wanted to Thank You(!) for such a great service, its a wonderful help in these tough times. ~AJ
- Thanks for the great tips on discounts in the city! Love it! Happy 1st Anniversary, and keep doing what you do! ~Regina F
- Congratulations on your 1st Anniversary of SavvyCities! You have created a very useful website! ~Doreen
- Happy Anniversary! I love your site, and visit it everyday! Thanks! ~Jennifer
- Love your website! It’s saved me lots of money Thank you!! ~Adrianne G
- You rock! And thanks. Soooo many great things to do. so little time…. ~dave g
- I love seeing your email in my inbox. I wish you many many more. ~Melissa Vega
- Congrats on helping make the awesomeness that is the Bay area easier for us all to digest. ~GP
- I think your email alerts and web site are great. Hope you celebrate many more anniversaries. ~Chris C
- I’m so glad I found your website. This is such a great resource for families around the metro area! Thanks! ~Siubhan
- I recently discovered your site while browsing for deals and bargains on the internet. I love what you’re doing! Thank you. ~Lisa W
- Your site is awesome! I check it frequently to see how I can enjoy the Boston area on a tight budget. Keep it up! ~Patrick
- Thanks for the great site. ~Ed
- Thank you for all the great information on things to do in the Chicago, cheaply. ~Michael
- Love your twitter feed, I always look forward to doing new things in Los Angeles. If they are fun and cheap it’s all the better! Thanks, ~Mary
- I have been enjoying your website for about six month now and I look forward to many more great deals. Keep up the great work/ Thanks. ~Thayton
- Thank you so much for helping me save money on my San Diego activities! As a college student, it’s hard to go out with $0 in your wallet. ~Todd LG (Stanford Class of 2010)
- My boyfriend and I moved to San Francisco last January and have used your email updates as a way to get to know the Atlanta area and entertain ourselves on the cheap. Thanks and Happy Anniversary! ~Kathy D
Business Partners Love SavvyCities, Too:
- “The word ‘savvy’ says it all — trust Kathy to not only recommend the best in your city, but to be an effective business partner as well. Not only is she a great curator, having an innate feel for what her readers are interested in, but her commercial instincts are razor sharp.” —John Loken, EVP Marketing, Ticketmaster North America, formerly with Goldstar Events, Inc (partnered with Kathy both places).
- “Kathy is a true professional, extremely smart with great business instincts and an unbridled passion to continually develop and drive her company forward. She is extremely personable, warm and friendly blended with an honest and forthright approach – refreshing traits in the online world that led to a long term partnership during my time at the California Academy of Sciences. Since leaving the Academy we have remained in contact and it’s so much fun watching Savvy Cities grow from strength to strength, due in main part to Kathy’s business acumen, genuine respect for her customers and willingness to adapt to the ever evolving marketplace. Consider yourself lucky if you get to work and partner with Kathy, you’ll never look back.” —Deleyse Langdale, International Sales Director, Sonoma County Tourism, formerly California Academy of Sciences director.
- “Kathy does an amazing job running Savvy Cities. The site is consistently one of our top partners as she’s developed a loyal and passionate readership that continues to grow. We love working with her and truly value her as a business partner”. —Phil Wallace, Digital Marketing and Business Development Consultant, formerly with ScoreBig.
- “Kathy is always on the top of my list when I need a research-heavy story written. She’s always on deadline (or earlier!) and uses the highest quality sources, along with her superb writing skills, to convey the point of the story.” — Maureen Healy, editor at American Media Inc. magazines: Natural Health & Fit Pregnancy (formerly).
- “Two of the things I like best about Kathy are her positive outlook and her ability to express her thoughts in an engaging yet straightforward manner.” –Sheri A. Bell, award-winning Author, Content Manager, Editor.