Hi there — my name is Kathy Summers, creator of all things SavvyCities. I’m thrilled you’re here, because it means you’re about to go out and have some fun.
Whether you’re planning to do something in a city you explore every day, or discovering a city for the first time, I hope you will find the reviews and special offers here helpful.
This is not the cool local blog for wannabe hipsters. No snark. No urban angst about the demise of city life. You’ll find plenty of publications pushing that, and they’re great. And they’re right. But this isn’t that.
I just want to find you places to love.
To be savvy in the city, you want to go out smarter. And that takes a little thought. What you don’t want? Fake reviews. Tickets from shady sources. Deals that don’t deliver. Ad clutter.
My promise to you: if I wouldn’t recommend it to my true friends, you won’t find it here.
Each review on SavvyCities has hours of research behind it, which is more than you’ll find on the typical canned event calendar, coupon or ticket site today. I don’t cover everything you can do in the city. I take the time to research and recommend only the activities worth doing, to dig up the special offers, and to provide useful tips and resources to help you plan your outing. If nothing else, you’ll enjoy an easy armchair adventure, whether you venture out or not.
ABOUT THE SAVVYCITIES PUBLISHER: SavvyCities was founded in 2009 by Kathy Summers (that’s me), an award-winning freelance writer based in Half Moon Bay, CA. My book credits include HarperCollins, Rodale, Mobil Travel Guide, and Forbes Travel Guide; magazine credits include Outside, Travel + Leisure, American Profile, American Legion, Hemispheres, Health, Prevention, Consumers Digest, Consumer Reports, and others.
I love the freelancing life — it gives me the flexibility I need for all the freewheeling around I do with my airline pilot husband Troy (savvy street team). I’m an airline brat from way back (daughter of an airline exec), which makes me an experienced traveler (free pass and all). Now I’m on the hunt for peak experiences to write about for savvy citizens (that’s you).
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FUN BLOGGER: Still reading? Then you might be interested to know how this site stays up and running. SavvyCities.com remains free to use and takes thousands of hours and dollars to sustain. Like many bloggers, my work is often (but not always) supported by small kickbacks from trusted merchants (when referral links are available), at no cost to you.
But — and it’s a big but — only the last click counts. Unfortunately, many commissions earned by bloggers today are sniped by coupon sites. How, you ask? Think about it. How often have you seen a coupon box at checkout and hit up the coupon sites for a code. You don’t find one, so you go back and complete your purchase. Guess who just got paid. Yep, even though they didn’t help you.
Similar to big box stores that move into small towns, corporate coupon sites are changing the landscape. Sure, sometimes they help. But often they succeed on the backs of hardworking bloggers who create the content they scrape.
So, you decide: Choose who you want to reward. Give your last click to your favorite local bloggers who help you find the fun in life. It’s free (and I hope one of them is me). It keeps the little guys going so we can give you more of what you love.
What They’re Saying About SavvyCities
Both business partners and happy readers are sharing the LOVE. Thanks for the kind words.
- While looking for things to do in San Francisco, I happened across SavvyCities …. and now I’m completely addicted. I can’t tell you how much fun I’ve had this summer going to all of the suggested festivals and museums on your site. Yes, there are other sites on the internet that offer “great things to do,” but they don’t even compare to yours. It’s user friendly to the max and I’m just so impressed (and grateful!) It has gotten me out of the house and into the fun of the city. You and your site are fantastic, so thank you. ~Renée K
- I came upon your site fairly recently and it’s been wonderful getting updates regularly. It’s so much fun digging through each section and just browsing around to see all of the possibilities out there in New York City. Not only do you offer deals and offers to such a wide variety of things to do and see and shop….but I hear about things I would have never known about and for that I THANK YOU. ~Michelle
- Thank you so much for the GO passes I won a while back. My husband and I took turns taking our son into the City for adventures the last three days of spring break and had such a blast! AT&T Park, MOMA, Zeum, Exploratorium, aquarium, bay cruise and on and on… even the wax museum was a hoot! Thx for the oppt’y to win the passes and your awesome web site! ~Lara Starr, producer of Consumer Talk with Michael Finney on KGO Newstalk 810
- I’m a big fan of your website. Not only is it a mainstay in my daily readings, but over the last year it has truly shaped how I spend my time off, especially on weekends. Thanks for everything you do! ~Samik B
- You guys are amazing, always find something fun to do with help from the web site. Thanks for helping us get to know the city. ~Sarah
- Wow I really don’t know what I would do without you! You have definitely made my last year a he’ll of a lot more fun for me and my girl. Thank you!!! ~Graham
- Awesome website you guys got there because in this tough economy any help around town for things to do is great. Thanks. ~Michele J
- Hello & congratulations on your successful blog. I’m very grateful for all the info of local happenings on the cheap during these hard economic times. ~S. Andregg
- Thanks so much for giving us some fun things to do without breaking my bank account! My friend told me about your website yesterday after me and 7 others went to the DeYoung Museum yesterday! Yeah cheap fun outings! ~Jacquie L
- Thanks for keeping my girlfriend and I involved with events in the area. They’ve been fun and the last couple of months have saved me more than ever. Still need to watch Wicked though, but nevertheless, Happy anniversary! ~Samuel L
- I found SavvyCities when looking for cheap tickets to see Cirque du Soleil OVO. This site is great, listing all the options to save money. My husband and I are going to see OVO at half price in March! Thank you, Savvy Cities! Thank you. ~Heidi
- I found your site a while ago and was really excited about all the possibilities of exploring new things in the area and look forward to years and years of many more treasures found there! Thank you! ~Varaxy Y
- Love your webpage. Great job of pulling the information from so many different sources! ~Sheila
- LOVE the website. With three kids, we need to do stuff on the cheap! ~Alyssa P.
- I just love giveaways and your website! As a frugal person new to the area, I’ve found so many amazing deals on here. I visit your site weekly to find even more great deals. ~Huong N
- I love this site. I just moved here and have been using it every day practically. Thank you! ~Lana N
- Thanks for all the great, cheap inside scoops around the city! ~Hannah
- I love the blog! Please keep it up for years to come! ~Erin
- I Love SavvyCities. Great Idea. ~Linh TN
- Your website has given me great ideas for my frugal bf. ~Deanna L
- I love your website and have told all my friends about it too. Thanks! ~Anna L
- Thanks so much for your website, it’s so helpful for a student on a budget!! ~ Yvonne Chou
- I’ve only been using your website for a short time but i’ve gotten so many ideas from it. Thanks! ~Winnie
- You guys are great!! Thank you!! Keep up the good work! ~Natalia H
- Congratulations on a successful year of stellar bloggingness. Cheers to greater triumphs and further growth. ~Shannon
- You’re doing a wonderful job out there. You are helping so many people plan their weekends, family fun, can’t thank u enough. ~Sangeeta
- Thank you so much for sending us great emails about fun things to do for not a lot of money in the city. ~Amy
- I love this website! Thanks for creating it! ~Ben N
- Thank you so much for sending us such great information about things in my favorite cities! ~Anne C
- SavvyCities is the best! Keep up the good work. ~Sam T
- I also wanted to Thank You(!) for such a great service, its a wonderful help in these tough times. ~AJ
- Thanks for the great tips on discounts in the city! Love it! Happy 1st Anniversary, and keep doing what you do! ~Regina F
- Congratulations on your 1st Anniversary of SavvyCities! You have created a very useful website! ~Doreen
- Happy Anniversary! I love your site, and visit it everyday! Thanks! ~Jennifer
- Love your website! It’s saved me lots of money Thank you!! ~Adrianne G
- You rock! And thanks. Soooo many great things to do. so little time…. ~dave g
- I love seeing your email in my inbox. I wish you many many more. ~Melissa Vega
- Congrats on helping make the awesomeness that is the Bay area easier for us all to digest. ~GP
- I think your email alerts and web site are great. Hope you celebrate many more anniversaries. ~Chris C
- I’m so glad I found your website. This is such a great resource for families around the metro area! Thanks! ~Siubhan
- I recently discovered your site while browsing for deals and bargains on the internet. I love what you’re doing! Thank you. ~Lisa W
- Your site is awesome! I check it frequently to see how I can enjoy the Boston area on a tight budget. Keep it up! ~Patrick
- Thanks for the great site. ~Ed
- Thank you for all the great information on things to do in the Chicago, cheaply. ~Michael
- Love your twitter feed, I always look forward to doing new things in Los Angeles. If they are fun and cheap it’s all the better! Thanks, ~Mary
- I have been enjoying your website for about six month now and I look forward to many more great deals. Keep up the great work/ Thanks. ~Thayton
- Thank you so much for helping me save money on my San Diego activities! As a college student, it’s hard to go out with $0 in your wallet. ~Todd LG (Stanford Class of 2010)
- My boyfriend and I moved to San Francisco last January and have used your email updates as a way to get to know the Atlanta area and entertain ourselves on the cheap. Thanks and Happy Anniversary! ~Kathy D
Business Partners Love SavvyCities, Too:
- The word “savvy” says it all — trust Kathy to not only recommend the best in your city, but to be an effective business partner as well. Not only is she a great curator, having an innate feel for what her readers are interested in, but her commercial instincts are razor sharp. —John Loken, EVP Marketing, Ticketmaster North America, formerly with Goldstar Events, Inc.
- Kathy is a true professional, extremely smart with great business instincts and an unbridled passion to continually develop and drive her company forward. She is extremely personable, warm and friendly blended with an honest and forthright approach – refreshing traits in the online world that led to a long term partnership during my time at the California Academy of Sciences. Since leaving the Academy we have remained in contact and it’s so much fun watching Savvy Cities grow from strength to strength, due in main part to Kathy’s business acumen, genuine respect for her customers and willingness to adapt to the ever evolving marketplace. Consider yourself lucky if you get to work and partner with Kathy, you’ll never look back. —Deleyse Langdale, International Sales Director, Sonoma County Tourism, formerly California Academy of Sciences director.
- Kathy does an amazing job running Savvy Cities. The site is consistently one of our top affiliates as she’s developed a loyal and passionate readership that continues to grow. We love working with her and truly value her as a business partner. —Phil Wallace, Digital Marketing and Business Development Consultant, formerly ScoreBig sales director.