San Francisco’s Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art. A walk through their Asian doorway transports you through 6,000 years of history, and across seven major regions of diverse Asian cultures. Some of the museum’s works pre-date written history while others are more modern, including paintings, porcelains, bronzes, armor, weapons, furniture, and fabric.
The museum offers many savvy ways to get tickets, including an evening mixer at a lower price, regular free admission days, and several other ways to get in free. Details below.
WHAT: Asian Art Museum in San Francisco — You can purchase tickets for $15 on the museum’s website or at the museum. Seniors, Youths, and University Students get $5 off. Children (12 & under) Free.
EVENING: $5 Thursday Nights — The Asian Art Museum is open late on Thursday nights (5-9 pm) February through September. Tickets are just $5 at the door. You can enjoy the permanent exhibits with admission.
COMBO PASSES: If you’re visiting several museums, tours and attractions within a two weeks or a month, check these out.
- The Asian Art Museum is part of the Go Select San Francisco Card. Choose any 2 or more of 31 local museums and attractions and save around 30% to 55% or more on each.
- The Asian Art Museum is part of a packaged deal when you buy a Go San Francisco Card. This discount card provides free admission to 55+ Bay Area attractions, which saves you 35 percent.
REGULAR FREE DAYS: The Asian Art Museum of San Francisco Free Day — Free admission on the first Sunday of every month sponsored by Target (with a possible surcharge for special exhibits) Show up early before it fills up.
OTHER WAYS TO GET IN FREE:
- Library Pass Program: The Asian Art Museum offers free museum admission via Bay Area libraries.
- Military Discount: Active members of the U.S. Armed Forces plus up to five family members get in Free. Just show your ID at the door.
- Student Discount: SFUSD Students get in Free. Show your ID.
- Military Discount: Active members of the U.S. Armed Forces plus up to five family members.
- Community Access Tickets: Social service agencies and nonprofit groups that serve disadvantaged communities, schools and youth groups can get in free. To apply, email email@example.com at least two weeks prior.
WHEN: Hours: Tuesday-Sunday 10am – 5pm. Closed Mondays. Extended hours until 9pm on Thursdays (February through September).
WHERE: Asian Art Museum of San Francisco, 200 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (between Fulton and McAllister Streets in the Civic Center district, across from City Hall).
ALSO SEE: Full list of San Francisco Bay Area Museum Free Days.