Review of Birch Aquarium + Discounts & Coupons.
Birch Aquarium, in the San Diego area, features sea creatures that live just off the coast of La Jolla. An interactive exhibit called Boundless Energy demonstrates the innovative natural forces of the ocean. The jellyfish and seahorses are always entertaining to young visitors. But if sharks are your thing, check out the newest exhibit, ElasmoBeach. I recommend visiting the aquarium at shark feeding times to see these amazing animals in action. (Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays at 10:30am).
Birch Aquarium at Scripps offers a few ways to save on tickets. Birch Aquarium also offers free admission on the first weekend of every month for anyone with a BofA card (one ticket per cardholder). For other people in your party, or if you can’t make the free day, you can still save time when you get your tickets online in advance.
Military, Seniors, Children and Students get a bit of a discount on tickets, and kids 2 and under get in free. There’s a $3 off coupon available, and a tourist card that includes the attraction among other San Diego activities. You can get half price admission every February as part of San Diego Museum Month. (Details and links below.)
Birch Aquarium Coupons and Discounts
FREE DAYS: Birch Aquarium at Scripps Free Admission with any BofA Card on the first full weekend of every month. Each cardholder gets one free admission ticket.
COUPON: Birch Aquarium offers $3 Off — Sandiego.org hosts this coupon for the aquarium.
RECOMMENDED: Combo passes are better than they used to be, for two reasons: you can select as few as two attractions or activities to visit over 30 days and save on both/all, plus now you can simply show your receipt on your smart phone to get in. Here are the two best attraction passes to try.
- Go San Diego Card & Go Select San Diego: Birch Aquarium is free with this attraction pass, and you can select as few as two museums or attractions to save 20% to 55% on each visit. You have 30 days to visit both/all your choices, and you can print or show on your phone.
OTHER WAYS TO SAVE: Birch Aquarium offers a few ways to save on admission directly.
- San Diego Museum Month — half price admission every February. To get half price tickets, you’ll need to pick up a pass at Macy’s. The free pass gets you half-off entry at 44 San Diego Museum Council membership museums in February.
- Military — Active Duty US Military $2 Off (show ID).
- AAA — Show your membership card to get $1 Off for up to four visitors.
- AARP — Members can usually get 25% off for up to six visitors (show card when you go).
- UC San Diego Free Week — check for the new dates in September or October (for UC San Diego students, faculty, and staff.)
- USCD — Birch Aquarium at Scripps offers free admission to UCSD Alumni Associates and Benefactors who present their Alumni Access Card when purchasing tickets. Limit one ticket per member, per visit.
WHEN: Open 7 days a week, 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.
WHERE: Birch Aquarium at Scripps, 2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla, CA.
SAVVY TIPS: To help make your visit easier and more fun …
- Parking — You can park free for up to three hours in the Aquarium parking lot. If you’re staying longer, buy a parking pass in the Education Office.
- Eating — There is a cafe, bookstore and gift shop on the premises. No food can be brought into the Aquarium. But you’ll fond picnic tables on the property and at Kellogg Park (about a mile from Birch Aquarium, and parking if free).
- Virtual Fun — Check out the Aquarium’s live high-def Kelp Cam and the Virtual Tour right now.