Cal Academy of Sciences Ticket Deals, Skip The Line, Free Days.
Discount Tickets — California Academy of Sciences, in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, has so much to offer we want to go again and again. Maybe that’s why Conde’ Nast Traveler named it one of the “New Wonders of the World.” The 2014 Cal Academy ticket discounts listed below include admission to everything at the museum, and that means all the amazing special exhibits, too.
Here’s what you’ll find on this page. Click the links to skip down the sections:
- Skip The Line Deal (daytime tickets)
- Combo Passes that include Cal Academy
- Nightlife Skip The Line & Birthday Comp
- Cal Academy Free Days (Local & Visitor)
- Cal Academy AAA Discounts & Transit $3 Off
- Savvy Tips for enjoying your visit.
- Upcoming special exhibits free with admission.
You can get the best deal on tickets from a few different ticket sources with better prices and perks than when you get them at the door. Cal Academy works with these sources to draw in visitors to the area, but locals can use them two. The best price right now is the California Academy of Sciences coupon code that saves you a dollar per ticket — $6 per ticket on peak days. Another deal lets you skip-the-line, and you don’t need to choose your visit date in advance. Just follow the links (below) straight to the two different sources of these special offers. Plus, locals have special free days available. Not a local? The Academy of Sciences offers quarterly free days for everyone.
Cal Academy is home to an aquarium, natural history museum, planetarium, and world-class research and education programs, all under one living roof. Exhibits include a four-story living rainforest, live coral reef, state-of-the-art space show, interactive activities and programs for all ages, exhibits on climate change and evolution, thousands of live animals, and more.
California Academy of Sciences Discount Tickets
DEAL 1: California Academy of Sciences Skip-The-Line Any Day Tickets — $29.95 including fees. During peak days (around the holidays and summers), this price is cheaper than the museum. Senior/Student/Youth/Child tickets also available for less. No coupon code needed. Skipping the long line outside during busy days. And if you change your plans, you can just use these tickets later. (When you get tickets elsewhere you have to choose the date of your visit when you order.)
DEAL 2: California Academy of Sciences Coupon — UPDATE: coupon code removed on request of CAS, but you can still order tickets. (NOTE: If you’re on a mobile device, this offer is not currently available, but Deal 1 is.) Senior/Student/Youth/Child tickets are cheaper, too. No added fees.
FOR COMPARISON: If you got your tickets directly from Cal Academy, you’d pay their Summer Peak Season Prices which are — Adult $34.95 | Senior (65+) $29.95 | Youth/Student $29.95 | Child (4-11) $24.95. Like many museums and attractions, they bump up admission fees during their busier seasons (summer and holidays). This makes our deals (above) even savvier during peak season.
- San Francisco CityPASS: A discount card that provides free admission to six Bay Area attraction including the California Academy of Sciences. Saves you $57 overall.
- Go Select San Francisco: Save 15% on Cal Academy of Sciences tickets when you bundle with one or more other SF Attraction (like SFMOMA or Aquarium Of The Bay). You have 30 days from the time you use the first ticket to use the second. Card comes with free 365 day cancellation insurance.
- Go San Francisco Card: This discount card provides free admission to 55+ Bay Area attractions including Cal Academy. Best when you’re coming in from out of town.
- AAA Discount — If you’re a AAA sometimes offers a discount. Check with your CA AAA representative.
- Public Transportation Deal — Get $3 off anytime when you take public transportation or ride a bicycle to the museum. Simply show your public transportation ticket or bicycle.
NIGHTLIFE at California Academy of Sciences
Even if you missed the recent $2 off Nightlife deal, you can still get skip-the-line tickets and go hang with the animals and the party animals without waiting in the horrendous line with the rest of the crowd. Nightlife admission is only $12 (less than have the price of daytime tickets). You can get tickets for this price at the door. Better yet, you get them online here via our link and skip the long line out front.
DEAL: Skip-The-Line Nightlife Tickets — $12. Cal Academy holds adults-only evening mixers every Thursday. These are theme parties with DJs and drinks. Download your voucher, and go. Just look for the sign out front for speedy entry.
BIRTHDAY DEAL: Nightlife is free within 7 days of your birthday. The birthday offer is good for a single, non-transferable entrance to NightLife. You’ll have to get this one at the door (and that means waiting in line, so bring good friends). Bring a Valid ID with your birth date on it to the ticket window to receive one complimentary ticket.
WHEN: Nightlife is every Thursday night 6pm – 10pm.
FREE DAYS at California Academy of Sciences
Note: California Academy of Sciences changed its free day policy to target more working families, who found it difficult to make the previous Wednesday free days. Cal Academy now offers quarterly Free Sundays. Details below, along with the new dates for free Neighborhood Days by San Francisco zip code.
QUARTERLY FREE DAYS (for everyone): Here are the quarterly California Academy of Sciences free days coming up. Anyone can go, but it fills up fast so get there early (they open at 9:30am).
- Free Quarterly Sundays — June 1, 2014 (future dates not yet posted).
SAN FRANCISCO LOCAL FREE DAYS: Cal Academy offers local free days by San Francisco zip code. Each visiting adult is limited to six children for free entry. You’ll need to show proof of residency. Go here for schedule updates.
To make your visit easier and even more fun …
- When to go: Open daily in 2014 except for certain holidays. REGULAR HOURS: Daily 9:30am – 5pm, Sunday 11am – 5pm. Closed on Christmas Day. Nightlife is on Thursday nights from 6pm – 10pm. See closed and blackout days on the ticket page.
- Getting there: California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park is located at the following address: 55 Music Concourse Drive, San Francisco, CA 94118. [Location & Map]
- Where to park: Parking is easy in the parking garage next to the museum, but is far from cheap. You can usually find free parking on the side streets near and behind the museum.
- The Planetarium: Book your time as soon as you walk in the door! You’ll be sorry if you don’t. It’s free with your tickets, but you need to reserve your spot, first come first served.
- How long to stay: Most people spend about four hours in the museum. You can take a lunch break on site in the museum’s restaurant or snack area.
- Download the free App: Just before you go, download the free Cal Academy app. Called the Cal Academy Insider, this free iPhone app helps you navigate the museum, provides supplemental exhibit info, suggests self-guided tours, and makes sharing easy (via email, Twitter, Facebook).
- Did you know: A little trivia to share with your friends and family — California Academy of Sciences has been called the ‘Greenest’ Museum in the World and is Platinum LEED certified.
SPECIAL EXHIBITS at Cal Academy
All the many exhibits and activities at California Academy of Sciences are free with your admission, including permanent exhibits and the following upcoming special exhibit.
SKULLS (May 16 – November 30, 2014): Every skull tells a story, revealing how vertebrate animals live, die, and ultimately, evolve. In this awe-inspiring new exhibit, walk along a wallscape of sea lion skulls, watch a live colony of dermestid beetles demonstrate their “bone cleaner” skills, and learn how scientists use the Academy’s vast collection of skulls to uncover clues about life on Earth.