One of Houston’s favorite activities, the Art Car Parade in May is a reflection of Houston’s folk art heritage. This free family event, known as the largest parade of decorated automobiles, serves as the focal event of Art Car Weekend, one of the Orange Show Center of Visionary Art’s premeire events. The Art Car Parade gives you a chance to meet the artists and see their incredible creations up close.
Houston Art Car Weekend is the Orange Show’s biggest outreach program, a vehicle for the message that art is an integral part of everyone’s everyday life. The weekend’s events are part folk art, part fine art, part wholly artistic expression of every kind, entirely monumental and thoroughly spectacular!
WHAT: The Houston Art Car Parade is Free.
WHEN: April 11, 2015, 2pm-4pm. Parade Schedule:
- 10am – Cars begin to line up at Taft and Allen Parkway
- 10am-2pm – “Starting Line Party” along Taft and Allen Parkway
- 2pm – 4pm – Parade rolls down Allen Parkway
- 5pm – City of Houston opens up Allen Parkway to public traffic
WHERE: The Art Car Parade runs along Allen Parkway, from Waugh to Bagby, Houston TX.
SAVVY TIPS: To make the event even more savvy …
- Parking — Grab a parking spot in downtown or midtown and walk to the parade route. You can also park in one of the lots that are charging fees. Best bet is Houston Metropolitan Parking Garage — 340 W. Dallas Street (a block away at Sam Houston Park and The Heritage Society).
- For great viewing, event managers suggest any place on Allen Parkway between Taft and Bagby. But they encourage you to “come to the party before the party” as the cars line up at Taft and Allen Parkway beginning at 9am.