Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City: Discount + Review.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museu at Pier 86 in New York City, is worth a few hours detour if you love history, aviation, science or stories of military service. The museum, located aboard the aircraft carrier Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark, features interactive exhibits, original aircraft and space artifacts, and detailed historic videos.
If you ask me, the museum’s setting is the first reason to go, for the views of the Hudson River, of course. My aviator husband goes for the record-breaking supersonic plane the Concorde, and the strategic missile submarine Growler. If you’re sticking around to get the full flavor of the Intrepid, why not pull up a seat on the Mess Deck and grab a sandwich at the Au Bon Pain café.
Families find plenty to do, especially at the 13,000-square-foot Exploreum Hall, with hands-on exhibits designed especially for kids. I suggest checking out the space capsule replica and a real helicopter with younger children, and the flight simulators for teens.
FYI: Your family might enjoy visiting during Kids Week, usually in February.
WHAT: Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City.
WHERE: Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, Pier 86, 12th Ave. & 46th St, New York, NY 10036.
WHEN: Subject to change (so check the Intrepid Museum website before you go), museum hours: April 1 – October 31: Monday – Friday: 10am – 5pm Saturday – Sunday & Holidays: 10am – 6pm. November 1 – March 31: Daily 10am – 5am (including holidays, closed Thanksgiving & Christmas).
Know Before You Go
- Kids Week — Go to the museum website to find out about the next Kids Week at the Intrepid Museum. Fun and educational activities are planned all about flight, with interactive displays and special guest demos.
- Snacks — The Intrepid Museum Complex houses two Au Bon Pain cafés with breakfast and lunch menus.
- Lines — Check out the Space Shuttle Pavilion if you get there early. Lines can get long for the open-air Flight Deck.
- Strollers — The USS Intrepid and the Space Shuttle Pavilion both allow strollers. The USS Growler and the Concorde don’t (but you can leave them outside).
- Gift Shop — Plenty of Intrepid-inspired souvenirs are available at the gift shop, like ship models and sailor teddy bears.
- Coupon — Promotion codes will be added here as I find them. Save 15%, for now, with the best deal above.