No holiday lights listing would be complete without San Francisco’s Union Street Fantasy of Lights event (December 7, 2013). The annual Union Street holiday program kicks off a month long celebration of holiday happenings in the city.
Thousands of holiday lights set off the Victorians, transforming Union Street into a magical backdrop for Santa and a team of elves to celebrate along with jugglers, live ponies dressed as reindeer, face painters, balloon artists, costumed characters, singers and live entertainment.
WHAT: The 2013 Union Street Fantasy of Lights is free to enjoy.
WHEN: December 7, 2013, 3pm to 7pm. Other activities …
- Decorate cupcakes at Cudworth Mansion, 2040 Union Street from 3 – 5:30pm.
- Santa makes an appearance at Cudworth Mansion and will stay 5:30 – 7pm for photos.
WHERE: Union Street, between Van Ness & Steiner, and Fillmore Street, from Union to Lombard, San Francisco, CA.
SAVVY TIPS: To help you enjoy the experience …
- Get your parking validated by a participating merchant. Parking facilities are located at 2001 Union Plaza Garage, 1910 Union Street Garage (Wells Fargo) and the Lombard Street Garage (enter on Moulton Alley at Webster).
- Donate toys for needy children through the SF Firefighters Toy Program. Drop them in the collection barrels on Union Street at the event and throughout the holiday.
- Horse Drawn Carriage Rides — Hop on and take a ride around to see the sights.
FYI: Holiday Caroling is back – Saturday December 22, 2013. Meet in the courtyard of St. Mary the Virgin Episcopal Church (2325 Union Street at Steiner Street) at 1pm. Join the caroling up and down Union Street. Refreshments at the church later.